This yummy 100% vegan meal is ideal for students, requiring few ingredients and little skill (and only one pan!). Who says tofu has to be bland?
Couscous . One slice of onion, diced . Mushrooms (optional) . About 100g of silken tofu . Soy sauce . Tomato/bolognase sauce . Oil (for cooking) .
For the couscous:
- measure a serving of plain or flavoured couscous in to a bowl, and cover with boiling water
- leave for the stated time, then fluff the couscous up with a fork
- transfer the couscous to a plate; this will be the base of your meal
- add some oil to a pan on medium heat and fry the onion and mushrooms (optional)
- cut the tofu into thin, rectangular pieces and add to the pan (you may have to do this in batches, depending on the size of the pan). Sprinkle soy sauce in to the pan. For best results, press the tofu for 10-30 minutes before frying.
- once the bottom of the tofu is a golden brown colour, turn the rectangle to fry the other side (it should only take 1-2 minutes to brown each side).
- when both sides of the tofu are browned, remove them from the pan
- once all tofu has been removed from the pan, add some tomato sauce to the pan
- add the tofu pieces back in to the pan with the tomato sauce and remove from the heat. Stir gently to ensure all tofu is covered in tomato sauce
- pour the contents of the pan on to the pre-prepared couscous and enjoy!