This year has been the year that i’ve fallen in love with pancakes. In fact, this is the first year, in my almost-twenty-years of existence that i’ve had pancakes on pancake day! My attitude now is why stop there? Pancakes can be for everyday!
- 1 cups of plain flour
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup soya milk
- Optional: a sprinkle of herbs, i used thyme, oregano and basil
- Mix the flour, baking powder and herbs in a bowl
- Add all of the vegetable oil and some of the milk. Stir
- Add the rest of the milk, a little at a time, until a smooth batter forms
- Put about two spoonfuls of batter in a small, oiled frying pan and cook on medium heat
- Once bubbles form on the surface of the pancake, use a spatula to flip the pancake
- Remove the pancake from the pan once it is golden-brown on each side
- Repeat until all the batter has been cooked
This recipe is so versatile, it can be served with pretty much any savoury toppings that you like! I chop a handful of mushrooms and fry them in a small pan. Once cooked, i add two tablespoons of soya milk to the pan, and a sprinkle of garlic powder to create a vegan garlic-mushroom topping. I pour the mushrooms over a stack of three pancakes (i place the rest in freezer bags in groups of three, and freeze) and serve with some halved cherry tomatoes.
Other toppings include vegan cheese, nutritional yeast, salsa, fried peppers and spinach. The combinations are endless! You can also add 2 tablespoons of light brown sugar in with the flour to make sweet pancakes, which can be topped with sugar, lemon juice, maple syrup or peanut butter!
So what are you waiting for? Pancakes shouldn’t be confined to one day a year!