These healthy, vegan treats are really easy to make and contain only natural sweeteners! If you’re looking to reduce refined sugar in your diet, or just try out a new healthy snack, then this recipe is perfect for you.
- 1.5 cups self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1-2 tsp of cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 cup raisins (can be substituted for 1.5 cups of grated carrot, to make carrot cupcakes)
- 1 ripe mashed banana
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup applesauce (chop apples and place in pan. Add around one inch of water and bring to the boil. Reduce to simmer for 20 minutes)
- OPTIONAL: 1 tbsp of flax seed
- sift the flour, baking powder and spices (and flax seed, if using) in to a bowl
- in a separate bowl, mash the banana
- add the lemon juice and applesauce to the banana and stir to form a mixture
- fold the flour mixture in to the banana mixture (you may not need to use all of it)
- fold the raisins (or carrots) to the mixture
- transfer all of the mixture in to cupcake cases
- bake for about 23-27 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius. Due to the high liquid content of these cakes, it can be difficult to get the baking time just right. I have found that even after around 40 minutes a skewer does not come out clean from these cakes. This is okay; the cakes should firm up on the inside as they cool.
- remove from the oven and place the cakes on to a wire rack to cool
The banana in these cakes makes them more than sweet enough for me, but if these cakes aren’t quite to your liking, you can combine icing sugar and water to create a white icing. Drizzle the required amount of icing over the cakes (but beware, the cakes will no longer be free from refined sugar) to add sweetness.